Sunday, January 12, 2014

End of our Speech Therapy Journey to Belize

Today is the end of our journey. We will be returning to normal life again and starting our externships for the semester. 

We want to thank everyone that supported our trip along the way. Not only did we all grow personally and professionally we really felt our project was successful and we did make an impact in Belize. We will continue to mentor the teachers from Stella Maris throughout the year  . This project will be an annual trip where we will continue to educate and be pioneers in bringing Speech Therapy to Belize. 

Departing quotes from our group members: 

Dr. Alan Sietel - Faculty Advisor

"This was one of the highlights of my career."

Brianna Bates - Founding President 

"Was so hard to leave the wonderful children and teachers that touched my heart over the past week. These memories will forever be with me. This experience was more wonderful than I expected and I learned so much! I never though my vision would ever happen." 

Gloria Riveria - Founding Vice President 

"Our experience at the Stella Marris School was definitely one we will never forget or could ever describe with words or photographs. It will forever be engraved in my mind, and I hope to return again. The energy at the assembly was beautiful, and I admit I shed a few tears. I will be leaving Belize with a heavyheart. "

Monica Benetz  - Founding Treasurer 

"What a roller coaster day today as the kids bombarded me with the most loving hugs & smiles. The humbleness & gratitude of the staff left me with a heavy heart & tears. Sincerely one of my best educational experiences & I'm blessed. I definitely would do this again."

Stephanie Perez - Founding Secretary 

"Unbelizeable. Plantain chips. It's better than what they had."

Victoria Wiatrek - Founding Board Member 

"The teachers and children at Stella Maris were amazing to work with and truly made this a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget."

Halah Alateeq - Founding Board Member 

"Stella Maris was an amazing experience for all of us. The children all touched our hearts and we will not forget them or the wonderful teachers. We are inspired by the teachers and staff that are devoted to helping these children. We hope this is the first trip of many thank you all who supported us along the way!"

Adina Gray - Founding Board Member 

"This experience was priceless. Definately something I'll never forget."

Meredith Kearney - Founding Board Member

"This place and the trip truly was unBELIZEable."

Leanna Sanez - Founding Board Member 
"So sad to leave Stella Maris school for disability children here in Belize  my kids and teachers were amazing to work with! I'm going to miss them but I'm so grateful for this experience and will never forget it!!!"


Kayla Keys 

"I cannot even begin to describe just how amazing our stay here was. The service learning was an amazing experience and I hope I can come back again."

This experience would not be possible without you! 

Special thanks to:

Dr. Alan Seitel 
Ms. Melissa Garcia
Mr. Ewart Robateau   
Marilu Salazar
Debbie Cruz 

Texas A&M University – Kingsville International Studies Office
Dr. Steven Tallant & Texas A&M University- Kingsville
Dr. Wilma Wright and University of Belize
Dr Thomas Fields
Elizabeth Laurence 

American Safety Consulting, LLC
VP Sales
Brehm, Havel & Company, LLP
Carrol Lake & Associates
Mauro P Garcia Funeral Home
Suarez Bros. Crane and Heavy Haul, LLC
JR Trucking
Diesel Impact 2359
Ms Keys & A.C. Jones High School student counsel
Kingsville Noon Rotary Club
Kingsville Morning Rotary Club
Our family and friends

Check our Facebook for more pictures on our speech therapy project at:
https://www.facebook.com/StudentsForGlobalCommunication

Thank you for following us along our journey to bring Speech Therapy to Belize!


Brianna Bates

Founding President 
Students for Global Communication







No comments:

Post a Comment